Statement of Responsibility and Ground Rules for Criticism
Being part of the blogosphere, it has dawned on me that there are no generally accepted norms for blogging, which has led to a variety of questionable practices, particularly in the criticism of other’s works.
If you haven’t figured it out by now, this blog is entirely my own work, expressing my own opinions. That is the only agenda.
This note is to clarify my own principles and the general approach of this blog.
- I generally review things I consider worth reading. But I will criticize things that need to be criticized.
- When I do criticize, I don’t bother with snarky stuff. That’s too easy, no karma points awarded. If I have a complaint I work hard to make it rational or at least explain my own emotional reaction.
- I always read the book before reviewing it.
- I (almost) always purchase a copy of what I review. I always obtain a legal copy, e.g., from a library.
- I do not accept payment for my reviews, or anything else in the blog.
- My reviews are signed and acknowledged as my own opinions.
Robert E. McGrath
December 2. 2013